Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Mighty Stream, Flowing Deep and Irresistible


Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret (Moody Classics)

If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink.
John 7. 37-39

Hudson Taylor (I find these words incredible and need to read them over and over again to get their full force):

What, can Jesus meet my need? Yes, and more than meet it. No matter how intricate my path, how difficult my service; no matter how sad my bereavement, how far away my loved ones; no matter how helpless I am, how deep are my soul-yearnings- Jesus can meet all, all, and more than meet. He not only promises me rest....He not only promises me drink to alleviate my thirst. No, better than that! He who trusts me in this matter (who believeth on Me, takes Me at My Word) out of him shall flow...

Can it be? Can the dry and thirsty one not only be refreshed- the parched soil moistened, the arid places cooled- but the land be so saturated that springs well up and streams flow down from it? Even so! And not mere mountain torrents, full while the rain lasts, then dry again...but, 'from within him shall flow rivers'- rivers like the mighty Yangtze, ever deep, ever full. In times of drought brooks may fail, often do, canals may be pumped dry, often are, but the Yangtze never. Always a mighty stream, always flowing deep and irresistible!

"Come unto me and drink." Not, come and take a hasty draught; not, come and slightly alleviate, or for a short time remove one's thirst. No! 'drink' or 'be drinking' constantly, habitually. The cause of thirst may be irremediable. One coming, one drinking, may refresh and comfort; but we are to be ever coming, ever drinking. No fear of emptying the fountain or exhausting the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment