Saturday, September 28, 2019

Fiction Titles

I've got really behind on putting books on here which I've been reading. I'm just going to list some of the fiction books I've read over the past couple of years. I'm always nervous of recommending books by non-Christian authors. Most of them I think- if I remember rightly- had in them some dubious content: whether that be language, or sexual content. I am sorry if my standards are too low and I am very happy to be challenged on them. A rule I have for myself is that if the book makes me want something ungodly to happen such as adultery or sex outside marriage then I choose not to read it. But some I find- even though they may include these themes- do a good job of showing up the ugliness and pain of not living God's way. This is particularly true of the novel Night Road by Hannah Kristin.
So here's my list which I'm recommending but also saying please check out for yourselves first:

The Beekeeper of Aleppo

This book is so, so good. It's also really sad. It is about a family who fled Aleppo due to the violence of the war, their terrible journey through Europe on the illegal migration route, and their life when they ended up in the UK. 

 Night Road
A story about teenagers, family, heartbreak, death, forgiveness. 

The Nightingale

A totally amazing book! It actually kept me awake one night reading it until I heard the birds singing and the dawn breaking! It's set in France during World War Two. I learnt so much about that era and about the Resistance movement. Compelling characters and heartbreaking happenings.

Winter Garden

Set both in modern day America and Leningrad during the horrendous siege of the 1940s. Again, I learnt a lot about an episode in history I knew nothing about before. 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: rejacketed (Film Tie in)

I absolutely loved this book. I think I read it way too fast though- I almost wish I'd slowed down to make it last longer. Set in Guernsey during the German occupation. I've not yet seen the film- I loved the book a bit too much and don't want to risk the film not living up to it!

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: Debut Sunday Times Bestseller and Costa First Novel Book Award winner

When I finished this book I felt bereft because I was missing the characters so much. When I admitted this to a friend she said everyone in her book group felt the same at the end of it! It's a fascinating window into modern life, relationships and community. It was one of those books that opened my eyes to help me understand society a bit more.

The Lido: The most uplifting, feel-good summer read of the year

An interesting book- which it took a while to get into- about loneliness and community and activism. The way it tried so hard to normalise gay marriage did irritate me.

Small Great Things: The bestselling novel you won't want to miss

I was warned this would be a hard read and it really was. It tackles the issue of racism in America and its destructive impact on the lives of so many.

How to be Good (Penguin Street Art)

I wouldn't rave about this book but I did appreciate it for its helpful lesson on how a marriage can grow cold and the need for a husband and wife to work hard at their marriage.

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection)

A completely and utterly gripping murder mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment