Saturday, February 9, 2019

Recipes!

Winter Vegetable & Lentil Soup - delicious!


******
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup- this recipe is a really handy one for using up leftover rice, chicken, veg.


******

Club Chicken Casserole- another good one for using up leftovers; although when I made it recently I substituted chicken for white beans.

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 2/3 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken / white beans
2 onions
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/3 cup green pepper (I just use any veg on hand)
3 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (You definitely need more than this recipe calls for)

1. Melt butter, blend in flour. Add milk, chicken broth, water. Cook quickly, stirring constantly until thickens.
2. Saute chicken with onions and garlic. Season. Add veg. Mix well with rest of ingreds. Pour into casserole dish.
3. Mix butter and bread crumbs, put on top of the mixture in the dish.
4. Bake in oven for 40 mins.


******
French Toast Casserole-  a recipe for using up going-stale bread. We have this for breakfast- I make it the night before.

bread- broken up into bits
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tbs sugar (I use date syrup or nothing)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
optional: raisins, flax seeds, apple sauce etc

Mix it all together, leave overnight and bake for 30 minutes ish.
I double these amounts for the 6 of us.


 ******
Oat bake  We eat a lot of porridge for breakfast (cereal is expensive, sugary, not very filling and can be hard to find). But I do prefer not having to make it in busy mornings getting ready for school etc. So my preferred breakfast is oatbake which I can make in a few minutes the night before and then just put it in the oven in the morning.

2 cups oats
1/3 cup brown sugar (I leave this out)
1 tsp baking powder 
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 cup banana/ apple sauce/ pureed dried fruit
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

(I double this amount for the 6 of us)
Mix it all together and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes in a casserole dish.










No comments:

Post a Comment