Monday, December 3, 2018

Spurgeon


Come Ye Children: Obtaining Our Lord's Heart for Loving and Teaching Children
I've recently come across various authors quoting C.H. Spurgeon, the 19th centruy London pastor. Spurgeon was a significant character in my childhood and I felt I got to know him quite well as he was loved by my parents and the church I grew up in so I was keen to go back and read some of his writings. Spurgeon's book, Come Ye Children, is free on Kindle so I thought that would be a good place to start and it was recommended by a good friend. Here are some extracts:

On discipling brand new believers:

 Watch with continuous care over those newborn babes who are strong in desires but weak in everything else. They have just crept out of darkness, and their eyes can scarcely bear the light; let us shade them until they grow accustomed to the blaze of gospel daylight. We need to addict ourselves to the holy work of caring for the feeble and despondent.

******

A child not only lives as you and I do but also needs to grow; hence, he has double need of food. When speaking of their boys, fathers say, “What appetites they have!” They should remember that we would also have great appetites if we not only had to keep the machinery going but also had to enlarge it at the same time. Children have to grow in grace – rising to greater capacity in knowing, being, doing, and feeling, and to greater power from God. 

Therefore, above all things they must be fed. They must be fed well or instructed, because they are in danger of having their cravings perversely satisfied with error. Youth are susceptible to evil doctrine. Whether we teach young Christians truth or not, the devil will be sure to teach them error. They will hear it somehow, even if they are watched by the most careful guardians. The only way to keep chaff out of the child’s little measure is to fill it to the brim with good wheat. Oh, may the spirit of God help us do this! The more the young are taught, the better; truth will keep them from being misled. 

******

Concerning the hindering of children, we see the results of this tendency in the fact that often the service offers nothing for the children. The sermon is over their heads, and the preacher does not think this is his fault. In fact, he often rejoices in this. Some time ago, a person who seemed to want to make me feel my own insignificance wrote to say that he had met with a number of “simple” people who had read my sermons with evident pleasure; he continued to say that he believed the sermons were very suitable for these simple people. Yes, my preaching was just the sort of stuff for the simple. The gentleman could not imagine what sincere pleasure he caused me, for if I am understood by poor people, by uneducated servants, and by children, I am sure I can be understood by others. 

I am anxious to preach for simpletons, if by these, you mean the lowest and the ragtag. There is nothing greater than to win the hearts of the lowly and the children. People occasionally say of such a preacher, “He is only fit to teach children; he is no preacher.” I tell you, in God’s sight, he is no preacher who does not care for the children. At least part of every sermon and service should suit the little ones. Only error permits us to forget this.

No comments:

Post a Comment