Thursday, October 24, 2019

What a Perspective!


Philippians For You (God's Word For You)

Now I want you to know...that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel.
1.12

The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
1.18

Now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
1.20,21

It is so striking in this passage of Philippians (1.12-21) how Paul's number one priority is the advance of the gospel and the exalting of Christ, whatever the cost to himself personally. Steven Lawson puts it like this:

Paul's concern is not for his own personal safety but for the truth of Jesus Christ to move forward, whatever it costs him.

Along with safety I could include healthcare, comfort, opportunities for the children, education etc etc which is often more my concern when thinking through where God wants us to be serving him rather than the truth of Jesus going forward.
Steven Lawson again:

Everything for Paul is about the magnification of Christ. Every trial is seen through the lens of advancing the name of Christ. Life and death are both opportunities to serve that great end. What a perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment