Thursday, February 21, 2019

Heart Idols

I'm seeing more and more how our reactions to people and situations powerfully expose the idols of our hearts. Last week the local fellowship was a huge discouragement. When I was praying about it the day after wondering why it had caused me to plunge down into a feeling of hopelessness and wanting to give up, I realised that the evening wasn't comfortable (one of the attendees was being quite awkward); easy (all it involves: teaching, hosting, driving etc); or successful (you just need to look at the numbers to see that). At which point I thought, "Maybe it's time to give up on it." I didn't want to persevere because my expectations, needs, hopes, desires weren't being met. I idolise comfort, ease and success and I don't like it when I don't experience these things. 

If, however, I am truly living for the glory and renown of my Saviour- who for me gave up his comfort and glory and lived a life with not very obvious success from a human point of view- then I will want to persevere: because I am serving a higher Person and Purpose than myself. We are so prone to serving self- that is our default setting- which is why we so often want to give up when it gets hard serving someone else. Self-service is a form of self-worship which will always lead to sin.

During these all-too-frequent "let's give up times," my go-to book is Hebrews, which has a whole lot better selection of "let us" -es! I'm going to try to memorise 12.1-3 and preach it to myself:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders [my heart idols] and the sin that so easily entangles [serving self]. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 

And this has been my go-to song these past weeks:


No comments:

Post a Comment