Sunday, November 11, 2018

Wear the Right Clothes!

Image result for ‪summer clothes images‬‏

Yesterday the gov introduced our city's new electricity schedule for the autumn/winter: power cuts in the mornings from 9-12 and 3-4pm. We're used to it but it's pretty annoying those three hours during school. I have to be a whole lot more organised than I'm naturally prone to be, but I think it's the lack of lighting that gets to me the most- our house can be pretty dark. Anyway, I was feeling a bit miffed and even a little "woe is me". Then I read Iain Duguid's commentary on Daniel 10 and I realised partly what my problem is- I'm not wearing the right clothes! I'm expecting a lovely summer's day when all is fine and easy and I forget that God has never promised life will be a picnic! I'll let Duguid explain:

When we turn up for something wrongly dressed, the problem is usually that we didn't understand what kind of function it was going to be...The event was different from our expectation. 

Many Christians have a similarly false expectation of life that results in their being improperly dressed....I'm talking about being properly clothed to face life. Many of us go through life expecting it to be a picnic. As a result, we are mentally dressed in light clothing and sandals, expecting sunshine, sand and fun. We are unprepared for things to go wrong, and when they do, we immediately start muttering something about the fact that life shouldn't be this way....
Who says life shouldn't be hard? All too often, our problem is that we have a flase espectation about what life should be like.

Daniel 10 is written to help us understand that life is hard and why life is hard, but also to remind us that we are not alone in our struggles.

Daniel (Reformed Expository Commentary)

No comments:

Post a Comment