Saturday, August 18, 2018

One Thing


 A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy with God Through a Daily Devotional Life

A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh DeMoss is all about pursuing a more intimate relationship with God.

NLDM: 

David had it all—fame, popularity, fortune, natural ability, and loyal friends. So when he says, “One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after” (Psalm 27:4 KJV), we wonder, What is the deepest desire and longing of this man’s heart? What matters to him more than anything else? What is his highest earthly priority? If only one thing could be said of him at the end of his life, what would he want it to be?

By the way, how would you finish that sentence? “One thing have I desired of the Lord; that will I seek after:_______.” What is the greatest desire and longing of your heart? In the answer to that question lies the explanation for much of what we do—our choices, our priorities, our use of time, the way we spend money, the way we respond to pressure, whom or what we love. David’s answer reveals why God could say, “This man’s heart beats like Mine”:

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. 
(PSALM 27:4 KJV) 

In spite of all he possessed, all he had done, all the people he had known, all the places he had been, and all the privileges and opportunities he had enjoyed, David had one supreme, driving passion in life: to walk in intimate union and communion with God. It is as if he were saying, “If I can only accomplish one thing in my life, if nothing else gets done, this is the one thing that really matters to me; this is my highest goal and my number one priority: to live in the presence of the Lord, to look on His beauty, and to learn from Him. I want to know Him, to love Him, to have an intimate relationship with Him. That’s the one thing in my life that matters most. And that is the one thing I am going to pursue above all others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment