Monday, April 16, 2018

The War that Saved my Life: Book Review


The War that Saved My Life (War 1)

The War that Saved my Life
by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley

This is a brilliant book. I read it to the children and they loved it and can't wait to read the sequel. It's about a brother and sister (Ada and Jamie) who live in the East End of London at the start of World War II with their abusive mother. The accounts of her abuse are quite hard to hear but I think it was a useful subject to talk about together and for our children to have their eyes opened to what some children have to live through. Ada and Jamie escape their home life when they turn up in Kent as evacuees and live with a lady, Susan, who at first is not at all happy to have them live with her. It's a story of all three characters learning, growing and changing. I appreciated that it wasn't an easy story with a sweet and happy ending. It's much more real than that. 

(One thing I would say is that Susan is grieving over the death of her very close university friend (female) who she lived with. I got the impression that they were perhaps more than just friends but this is never explicitly said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment