Thursday, September 1, 2016

Witness

One morning a couple of weeks ago, I read Isaiah 43. It was amazing timing as I'd just received an email for urgent prayer for a brother who was about to go to court for his faith and he would be very tempted to recant his beliefs in order not to lose his family. Isaiah 43 is all about being God's witnesses and is obviously speaking about all of our witnessing about him, not just at court.

Here's what the commentary I'm reading says,

“Fear, of course, turns us in upon ourselves. It chills our heart and silences our lips, and is the greatest possible hindrance to effective witness. So it is not until he has dealt with the fear that was crippling Israel that he can move on in verses 8-13 to tell them of their call to be the LORD's witnesses.

Do not fear for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour;
..you are precious and honoured in my sight,
. I love you,
...Do not be afraid, for I am with you.
43.1-5

The substance of their witness is to be this: 'There is no god, no saviour, but the LORD' (cf. 10-12). Imagine the scene which Isaiah sketches in so cryptically in verses 8-10. The LORD himself is on trial. He claims that he alone is God, but is accused of lying. His rivals, the pagan gods, have as their witnesses, the many people who worship them. The LORD has only the blind and deaf captives (8). ...Surely the LORD's case is lost. But no; these feeble witnesses produce incontrovertible evidence of the truth of the LORD's claim: he alone foretold the things now taking place (9b)....Immediately the whole atmosphere in the court changes. The opposition is reduced to silence and the LORD's case is carried. And something else happens. The witnesses themselves are transformed. Their own blindness and deafness are swallowed up by a new assurance, and they leave the court with a firm tread and heads held high,

'You are my witnesses,' declares the LORD,
'and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.'
43.10

Note the purpose clause (so that). The purpose of witness is not just to convince the world but also to confirm the faith of the witnesses.

That is why this call to witness fits so comfortably in a passage about assurance. The feeble people of God can and will be his witnesses! Truth is on their side, and as they rise above their fears and proclaim it, that truth will grip then and transform them. Witness is not an onerous burden, but an unspeakable privilege. It is a means not only of protecting the truth about God in the world, but of strengthening God's people themselves.”
(Barry Webb; BST commentary)




No comments:

Post a Comment