Friday, May 6, 2016

Majesty

I sometimes find myself wondering, when I read in the Bible of God's majesty and power, why don't we see more of it? I hope this doesn't sound heretical and that you understand where I'm coming from. The church does just seem so very weak and pathetic often and God's name is far from being honoured. Why doesn't God reveal himself more dramatically to let the world know he truly is King of Kings and Lord of Lords? I suppose this question is so often on my mind living in a region where darkness and wickedness seem to prevail (just take the bombing yesterday of a refugee camp in Syria) and my heart cries out, along with the Psalmist,


Arise, LORD! Lift up your hand O God.
Do not forget the helpless. (10.12)

I love the way David is so real and we have a record of his anguished heart-cry to God. 

I know there are many answers to my question but I just wanted to write about how I was encouraged this morning as I read in Isaiah 2 about the day of the LORD.


The arrogance of man will be brought low
and human pride humbled;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
and the idols will totally disappear.
People will flee to caves in the rocks
and to holes in the ground
from the fearful presence of the LORD
and the splendour of his majesty,
when he rises to shake the earth. (2.17-19)

Barry Webb in his commentary on Isaiah (BST series) comments,

There is a positive aspect to the day of the LORD. Proud people will be humbled, but the LORD (and he alone) will be exalted (v11,17) and seen in all his splendour (v21). There is therefore a sense in which it is right to long for the day of the LORD, because it will mean the final triumph of God and his purposes. What may only be apprehended by faith now - that the LORD is supreme ruler of the world- will then be plain for all to see. As Philippians 2.9-11 says,

Therefore God exalted [Jesus] to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

(Webb continues:) This, among other things, is what we pray for in the Lord's Prayer when we ask for God's kingdom to come. But if we are so bold as to pray such a prayer, we must make sure that we are prepared for the answer!





No comments:

Post a Comment