Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Parent's Job

I've recently discovered Stephen Altrogge's books Untamable God and The Inmates are Running the Asylum. The latter is a selection of essays on a range of topics including bucketlists, Amish romance novels, finding your soul mate and parenting. Altrogge writes in a 'tongue-in-cheek' style but draws out some valuable Biblical lessons from these rather eclectic topics!

Here's what he says about parenting:


"I think that, perhaps, we're all putting a little too much pressure on ourselves as parents. The Bible is pretty clear when it comes to our job description as parents. First and foremost, we're supposed to show our children what it looks like to love God. One of the things I remember most about my childhood is that my mom and dad regularly read the Bible and prayed. ....I hardly remember anything from high school....I also hardly remember anything from college....But I do remember my parents' devotion to the Lord.


Our kids won't remember much, and that's probably a good thing. They will remember whether or not we loved Jesus. They'll also remember whether or not we taught them about Jesus. If I can manage those two things- loving Jesus and teaching my kids to love Jesus - I think I'm headed in the right direction as a parent."

No comments:

Post a Comment