Friday, April 22, 2016

Good News

Tim Keller (in King's Cross) comments on the response to Jesus of the man in Mark 9 (v 19-29) whose son is possessed by an evil spirit but the disciples cannot cast it out.

This man asks Jesus, "Would you heal my son?" And Jesus says, "Everything is possible for him who believes." That is, "I can do it if you can believe." The father responds, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"- that is, "I'm trying but I'm full of doubts." Then Jesus heals the man's son. This is very good news. Through Jesus we don't need perfect righteousness, just repentant helplessness, to access the presence of God.

Jesus could have told the man, "I am the glory of God in human form. Purify your heart, confess all your sins, get rid of all your doubts and your double-mindedness. Once you have surrendered to me totally and can come before me with a pure heart, then you can ask for the healing you need." But Jesus doesn't say that- not at all. The boy's father says, "I'm not faithful, I am riddled with doubts, and I cannot muster the strength necessary to meet my moral and spiritual challenges. But help me." That's saving faith- faith in Jesus instead of in oneself. Perfect righteousness is impossible for us, and if you wait for that, you will never come into the presence of God. You must admit that you are not righteous, and that you need help. When you say that, you are approaching God to worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment