Monday, September 25, 2017

Lifeline

I've been feeling discouraged, doubting, wanting to give up recently. Results are not exactly obvious to see; the summer has been long and hot; it often feels as though we take one step forward and then a  fair few back. In all of this Hebrews 10-12 has literally been a lifeline. I love how when you read God's Word it sometimes jumps out of the page and both convicts and comforts you.

Here are some verses I found helpful with some thoughts I journalled:

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess,
for he who promised is faithful.
10.23

Why can we hold unswervingly (I'm such a swerver)? Because GOD IS FAITHFUL!

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for
 and assurance about what we do not see.
11.1

I long for confidence, hope and assurance. But I too much look on what I do see- small things, weakness, lack of 'results'.

By faith Abraham...obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country...He was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise. And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky.
11.8-12

Wow, Abraham! What an example! As good as dead but he had faith (with a blip) that  God would do what he said he'd do- give him many descendants. God has promised to build his church but because I don't SEE it I don't believe it at times. Abraham looked forward to heaven. Sarah "considered him faithful". I need to spend much more time considering God- looking at him and his promises not my perceived reality.

All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth.
11.13

They didn't give up when they didn't see results like I want to do. And they were still living by faith when they died. But I have all the promises of God in his complete Word.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
12.1-3

When I grow weary and lose heart what should I do? "Consider him"!  Have I not been fixing my eyes on Jesus enough? What needs to change? What sin and hindrances do I need to throw off? Do I take time just to contemplate, gaze, consider Christ, or am I always rushing on to the next thing? 

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory...
1 Corinthians 3.18



No comments:

Post a Comment