Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Carry

Ignorant are those who carry about idols of wood
Isaiah 45.20

Contrast this with:
Even to your old age and grey hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. 
Isaiah 46.4

Barry Webb:

"The LORD asks Israel to reflect again on the fundamental absurdity of idolatry and the contrast between it and their own covenant faith. 'Idolaters carry their gods,' says the LORD, 'but I carry you. I have carried you since you were born, and I will never stop carrying you until your days are done.' There it is in a nutshell; false religion is based on works, true religion on grace. So it has always been and so it always will be.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- 
and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- 
not by works, so that no one can boast.
Eph 2.8-9

The figure of the LORD carrying Israel occurs in other places always with reference to the exodus. This is the point at which Israel as a nation was conceived and brought to birth.

You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, 
and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.
Exodus 19.4

There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, 
as a father carries his son, 
all the way you went until you reached this place.
Deut 1.31

In a desert land he found him,
in a barren and howling waste.
He guarded him as the apple of his eye,
like an eagle that stirs up its nest
and hovers over its young,
that spreads its wings to catch them
and carries them on its pinions.
The LORD alone led him;
no foreign god was with him.
Deut 32.10-12

In all their distress he too was distressed,
and the angel of his presence saved them.
In his love and mercy he redeemed them;
he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old.
Isaiah 63.9



No comments:

Post a Comment