Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Wonder


I loved this book. It's about a boy with a severe facial disfigurement and how he copes when he starts school. It's written for children but it's the kind of book adults will appreciate too with the themes it explores. I think this book will stay with me for a long time and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. You really feel with and for the characters in all the emotions they go through. One thing I loved and learned from was how welcoming the parents of the main character were to his and his sister's friends and how much the friends enjoyed being at their home- I'd love to have a home like that!

Two quotes from the book:

From J.M. Barrie's The Little White Bird:

"Shall we make a new rule of life....always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?"

A girl in the book says something about her mother which is something I can too easily fall into, but I'd love to avoid: 

"My mother is the kind of person who has a happy face for the rest of the world but not a lot left over for me."

2 comments:

  1. An intriguing book. I think you do have a home where others love to be!
    As far as the face goes, oh dear, I hope our children don't think that of me! Xxx

    ReplyDelete