Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Overflowing Praise

Psalm 126.1-3
"When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dreamed.
Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
'The LORD has done great things for them.'
The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy."

Our fortunes HAVE been restored, the Lord HAS done great things for us. So our mouths should be filled with laughter, our tongues and hearts with songs of joy. Then the nations will see and recognise that the Lord HAS done great things for us and HE will get the glory! 

It reminds me of Psalm 119.171-175:

"May my lips overflow with praise...
May my tongue sing of your word....
Let me live that I may praise you."

I've been thinking a lot recently about praise. I want to be someone who bubbles over with praising God. Not so much forcing opportunities, open doors for the gospel, but rather that it just bubbles out of me- like a fountain flowing over. I want it to be that I just 'can't help myself' talking about what the Lord has done for me- to be like Peter and John who couldn't "help speaking about what [they] had seen and heard." 

I need to be filled with the Word, remembering and meditating (Ps 119 style), falling deeper and deeper in love with Jesus each day in order for the fountain to overflow, in order- as John Piper puts it- to be "making much of Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment